Every year we come to Riverbanks Zoo to experience the Lights Before Christmas. It’s a fun evening, especially for kids. The whole park is lit up, there is laughter, joy and the smell of Christmas.
What kids love to do at the zoo
1. Play in the “snow” and chase falling snow-soap flakes. This is as close as it gets to a white Christmas around here.
2. Ride the mini train. Here is the Spots and Stripes Railroad video from last summer ($2 per person)
3. Ride the Merry-go-around ($1 per kid)
4. Cooking marshmallows over the coal burning fire. You get 4 on a stick ($2)
5. Run, climb and slide at the playground. In fact that whole area is great to let your kids loose. There is also the carousel, marshmallows fire, restrooms and food stands.
Fun things for parents
1. Get a Starbucks coffee or hot-cocoa. The hut is strategically positioned right by the entrance.
2. Stay in line with the kids for a moment with Santa. It seems grown-ups are more enchanted photographing their prodigy in Santa’s lap than the children do. When asked what she wants for Christmas mine replied “A lollipop!”…now you tell me?
3. Cooking marshmallows…yep we like it too!
The Lights Before Christmas event is open till December 30 every day until 9PM (except on Christams Eve and Christmas Day). Admission is $8 adults, $6 children 3-12 and free for kids under 3. Members get a one time free entrance to the event.
Filed under: Columbia, Outdoor Activities, Riverbanks Botanical Gardens, Riverbanks Zoo, Walking and Jogging | Tagged: Christmas village lights music exhibit pictures, Columbia best holiday event outdoor, Columbia best photo with Santa, fun Columbia activities under $10, it's snowing in Columbia, kids playing in soap snow at Riverbanks Zoo, Lights before Christmas Riverbanks, magical Christmas tradition at the Zoo, Riverbanks lights event details and pictures, Riverbanks Zoo attractions, Train rides photos, what's fun to do with kids in Columbia, where to take the children this weekend | Leave a Comment »