Escape the heat and join in the fun at Sandbox, Hilton Head’s awesome interactive children museum. Some of the things kids can do at Sandbox:
• Be a captain or a pirate on The Adventure ship
• Pilot a real airplane or direct a puppet show
• Build like Bob the Builder at the Loggerhead Castle
• Shop at the International Bazaar
• Fight dragons while rock-climbing
• Play with Thomas the train engine…and much more
Things to know before you go
1. Admission is only $6. Sandbox is open Mon to Sat 10 AM – 5 PM (till end of August, May and September is Tue to Sat) and is located on Pope Avenue behind the St. Andrew Methodist Church (off the Sea Pines roundabout).
2. Best time to go is early morning or after 3 PM where is not so crowded. Sandbox is not very big (2 stories with 4 rooms). If more than 15 kids and parents are around you’ll start rubbing elbows looking for places to sit down.
3. There is a dedicated room Charlie’s Perfect Playhouse for babies and toddlers. It’s relatively big and has rocking chairs! The next best thing for little ones is upstairs: Thomas train set for boys, crafts, puppet theater, doctor and tea party stations for girls.
4. For older kids the most fun thing to do playing in the airplane station equipped with real flight piloting instruments and controls.
5. There is no food served on the premises and I don’t think you can bring your own. So plan your lunch time accordinlgy.
Need more ideas on what to do with kids while vacationing at Hilton Head?
• Go to the Public Library. It’s FREE and kids will have a blast reading with you.
• Watch dolphins swim along as you cruise around the island ($20-$30)
• Visit Fort Pulaski near Savannah to see live cannons and musket firing, learn about Immortal 600 tragedy and the Waving Girl legend, and become a Junior Ranger ($3).
• Spend a magical day inside Sea Pines resort to horseback riding, eco kayak tours, water skiing, parasailing and biking. Visit the 4000 years old Indian Village, the ghost haunted Baynard Ruins and the Harbour Town Lighthouse.
• Learn about the Hilton Head island history, the rich Gullah culture and sign up for some fun family programs at the Coastal Discovery Museum (free museum admission; guided tours, cruises and beach walks are $5-$30)
Of course nothing can beat having good old fun at the beach! You get free entertainment watching brown pelicans free fall diving, seagulls chasing shrimp boats, happy dolphins swimming in the ocean and proud boys catching a baby shark!
Filed under: Hilton Head, Hilton Head - Savannah, Sandbox Hilton Head, Videos and Photos | Tagged: affordable things to do in Hilton Head, Hilton Head activities under $10, Hilton Head cheap family attractions, Hilton Head children museum, Hilton Head fun kids activities, Hilton Head just for kids, Hilton Head things to do with kids, pictures with children playing at Sandbox, Sandbox children museum, Sandbox photos, The Loggerhead Sandcastle, what to do with kids in Hilton Head |