Cheraw is Pee Dee’s jewel, a vibrant little city filled with music, arts and magnificent historic houses and churches. Cheraw is famous for the SC Jazz Festival that celebrates her beloved son, Dizzy Gillespie. This weekend the city will open its arms to welcome visitors to the 34th annual Spring Festival.
• Living History Expo – Saturday and Sunday until 3PM at Riverside Park
The 26th SC Volunteers will demonstrate camp life in the Confederate Army. Enjoy a “skirmish” reenactment at 2PM (Free to attend).
• Civil War Lantern Tours – Saturday 8:30 – 9:30PM at Riverside Park
Experience the Civil War ravages by camp fires and lantern lights. Tickets sold in the morning at the park, $5 adults and $4 for kids 12 and under.
• Confederate Church Service – Saturday 10AM at Old. St. David Church
The Old St. David Church was completed in 1774 and was used as a hospital by four armies. The churchyard features the country’s oldest Confederate Monument.
Art and Car Shows
• Arts and Crafts – Saturday 10AM – 5PM and Sunday 12 – 5PM at the Community Center.
Over 100 artists are displaying their wares and demonstrate their craft.
Enjoy live music, magic shows, juggling and clown acts, and dance performances.
Delight your taste buds with delicious BBQ, Greek foods, baked goodies, hot dogs, hamburgers and funnel cakes.
• Classic Car Show – Sunday 11AM – 2PM at Market Street
Just for Kids Events
• Children Fair and Wagon Rides – Saturday 10AM – 5PM and Sunday 1 – 5PM at Town Green
On Saturday kids can enjoy petting zoo, pony rides, face painting and story telling (1 and 3PM). Horse drawn wagon rides start at 11 on Saturday and 1PM on Sunday.
• Antique Fire Truck Parade – Saturday 10AM on Market Street
Over 20 antique fire trucks will parade down Market Street then there will a free demonstration at Cheraw State Park
• Duck Regatta – Saturday 11:30AM – 12PM at Riverside Park
See ducks race to the finish line. Ducks are $20 each and ca be purchased at the Community Center before 10AM. Cash prizes for top 3 contenders.
Filed under: Biking, Boating and Fishing, Canoe and Kayak, Cheraw - Camden, Free Things to Do, Historic Carolina Sites, Museums, Parks and Gardens | Tagged: 18th century Saint David Church, antique fire truck and cars parade, Button King Museum Bishopville, Cheraw historic buildings, Cheraw Spring Festival, Civil War South Carolina reenactments, Confederate Army fire camp demonstrations, family weekend fun near Bishopville and Camden, fun free things to do near Columbia, Pearl Friar's Topiary Garden, SC Arts and Crafts Show, SC fine artists exhibit |