Thinking about visiting the NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher? Then get there in style! Take the ferry from historic Southport (home of the North Carolina 4th of July Festival). Cars, bicycles, pets and even horses are welcome!
You will enjoy spectacular views of the Cape Fear River, lone barrier islands, ships of all sizes and a bonanza of birds. Look out for two majestic lighthouses:
• 109 feet tall Bald Head Island Light is the oldest in NC (built in 1817)
• 169 feet tall Oak Island Light has the brightest light in the country and second brightest in the world!
1. Make sure to arrive at least 30 minutes before the scheduled departure. Spots fill up quickly in the weekends.
Tips to know before you go
The ferry has enough space to accommodate about 30 cars/SUVs.
2. Bring your own food and drinks. You can purchase snacks from the ticket booth in Southport. There are very limited food and drink choices once onboard.
3. Make the kids happy and let them feed the seagulls. They’ve been trained to follow the ferry as long as there is food available (see video below).
This makes for fun free entertainment and great photo shots.
Of course safety comes first!
Ferry Rates (one way) and Hours
• $1 Pedestrian, $2 Bicyclists, $3 Motorcycles
• $5 Cars 20 feet and under,
• $10 cars 20 to 40 feet, $15 vehicles 40 to 65 feet
The ferry operates year around from 5:30AM to 6:15PM. Last departure from Fort Fisher is at 7PM. The trip takes about 35 minutes. Here’s the full schedule and additional information.
Fun kids activities in and around Wilmington
• Visit the “Showboat” NORTH CAROLINA, one of the most decorated battleships during WWII ($12 adults, $10 seniors and military, $6 children 6-11, free for children 5 and under).
• Be a kid again at the NC Railroad Museum home to one the largest model trains layout in Southeast ($7 adults, $6 seniors and military, $3 children 2-12).
• Be awed, bewildered and amused at Cape Fear Serpentarium, featuring the world’s largest collection of deadly venomous snakes ($8 admission, live feedings in the weekend).
Filed under: Boating and Fishing, Historic Carolina Sites, Myrtle Beach, Outdoor Activities, Sunset Beach NC, Videos and Photos, Wilmington | Tagged: Cape Fear River boating video, exciting rewarding bird watching Carolina Coast, fun seagull encounter Cape Fear, relaxing Southport Ferry Fort Fisher, Southport family attractions, Wilmington almost free things to do with kids |