Need some peaceful time at the beach, close to attractions and civilization yet away from the big city resorts crowds? Sunset Beach NC is your answer. The beach is located off highway 17 just 30 minutes drive from North Myrtle Beach and 1 hour from Wilmington NC.
Tips to know before you go
1. If you stay more than 3 nights then rent a house on the beach. I use Sunset Beach Realty ; their website has good search and filter capabilities and lots of photos for each available house. Otherwise try Sea Trail Golf resort.
2. Get a house on 2nd or 3rd row and skip the ocean-front. You’ll save hundreds of dollars and not miss on the view and distance at all. Sunset Beach is really narrow; all houses are very, very close to the beach. Most “back” houses are newer, taller and have better amenities. As you can see from the slideshow below the ocean views and sunsets are incredible.
3. For food, best thing to do is to get super-fresh mouth watering fish from Bill’s Seafood (located on the island) and cook it at the house. I’ve had the most delicious, sweet and tender scallops ever. And I don’t even like scallops! 🙂
4. There is only one old-fashion one-way bridge connecting the town (your best groceries option) and the beach. Every hour, 15 minutes exactly before the hour, the bridge closes to let the boat traffic pass thru. So plan accordingly…if you do get caught no worries the whole thing lasts for about 15 minutes and is quite entertaining to watch. Be mindful of the ongoing construction for the new four-lanes overpass bridge scheduled to open in 2010…that will bring lots more traffic, noise and commerce to Sunset Beach. So go now while it’s still peaceful and quiet!
5. Things to do for kids: At the beach: Body surfing on boogie boards (very popular with boys), biking, walk around the Bird Wildlife sanctuary and collecting shells (the beach is a shell Mecca, you’ll see full size beautifully colored oyster, clam, conk, and whelk shells); In and around town you can visit the Ingram Planetarium, the Museum of Coastal Carolina on Ocean Isle (10 minutes drive from Sunset) or go to Myrtle Beach and check out Alligator Adventure “The Reptile Capital of the World”.
If you’re brave enough take the 45 minutes drive to historic Wilmington to see the world’s largest collection of the rarest and most venomous snakes. It’s fierce and well worth the $8 admission price!
Filed under: Biking, Boating and Fishing, Canoe and Kayak, Myrtle Beach, Sunset Beach NC, Swimming, Videos and Photos, Walking and Jogging | Tagged: affordable North Myrtle Beach vacation, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach family fun activities, pictures of Sunset Beach NC, Sunset Beach, Sunset Beach free things to do, Sunset Beach photos, Sunset Beach planetarium, Sunset Beach seafood restaurants, Sunset Beach things to do, where to stay at Sunset Beach | Comments Off on Amazing Sunset Beach Photos: Quiet and Relaxing Family Time